House Accountability War Room Slams Congressman Johnson’s Election As Speaker
“Congressman Johnson is a MAGA extremist and election denier who has no place being Speaker.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, the House Accountability War Room slammed House Republicans’ election of Congressman Mike Johnson as Speaker of the House.
“Rep. Johnson is a MAGA extremist and election denier who has no place being Speaker. From his pursuit of radical abortion restrictions to his votes denying food assistance to moms and kids to his years-long assault on Social Security, his extreme MAGA Speakership should be seen as a direct attack on working families and will have devastating consequences for our democracy,” said Zac Petkanas, spokesperson for the House Accountability War Room. “Unfortunately, this is par for the course for the extreme House majority – once again, they sold out the American people by choosing MAGA extremism and placing an election denier second in line to the presidency.”
- Johnson is an election denier who voted to overturn the election results in 2020.
- Johnson led the “amicus brief in a Texas lawsuit to invalidate millions of votes and the election results from four key swing states that went for President-elect Joe Biden.”
CNN: “Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana, a close ally of President Donald Trump, sent an email from a personal email account to every House Republican soliciting signatures for an amicus brief in the longshot Texas lawsuit seeking to invalidate electoral college votes from Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.”
Reporter Andy Kaczynski on the Texas lawsuit: “It was probably outside of January 6 the second most extreme action in that whole post 2020 period.”
- Johnson voted against establishing the January 6th investigative committees.
- Johnson voted for a national abortion ban and cosponsored a 20-week abortion ban in 2021.
- In September 2023, Johnson voted for the House Republicans’ continuing resolution that would cut access to Social Security.